Let me be clear


I haven't blogged in over two years. Honestly, the last four have stripped me of a lot of my creative mojo. Plus a pandemic isn't exactly a good time, you know?


Waking up the day after the most contentious election of my lifetime I am filled with too many emotions to put into words. The ballots are still being counted and, while the outcome is uncertain, I have a rock-solid new belief.


If you voted to re-elect the 45th president in 2020, we cannot be friends/family/etc. We cannot have a relationship of any kind. You are no longer a part of my life.


This isn't malicious or judgemental. I'm not trying to make any kind of grand statement about politics or partisanship or policy. I am making a choice about where my energy will be directed.


If you chose to continue the status quo and keep him and his followers as the leaders of this nation, you are complicit in everything that is wrong in our society right now.


  • He is a moral failure.
  • He is a degenerate, a reprobate, a bully.
  • He is a liar who attacks people who disagree with him.
  • He has admitted publicly to sexual predation and assault.
  • He refuses to condemn white supremacy and the violence that comes with it.
  • He encourages cheating to win, no matter who gets hurt in the process.
  • He refuses to acknowledge that a virus has killed a quarter of a million Americans under his leadership.
  • He has failed at being a good citizen, businessman, politician, father, and husband.
  • If he had any, he has lost the respect of much of the rest of the world.
  • He has facilitated the destruction of our democracy to win at any cost.


You may not consider yourself a racist but racism is not a dealbreaker for you. You voted for a man that was endorsed by the KKK. You voted for hatred, oppression, police brutality. All lives do not matter to you. You voted against people of color, against the LGBTQ+ community, against women. You believe that women shouldn't get to decide what they do with their own bodies. You voted against science and fact. You cling to Judeo-Christian values while ignoring religion's basic principles: community, compassion, respect, accountability, and justice.


Political parties are irrelevant if you know the difference between right and wrong. I try not to believe in stereotypes and someone's political views shouldn't define their values. But if you say "I don't like him and I don't support him but I only vote GOP," that's a problem.

Let me be clear

I won't be rude or nasty with you based on who you voted for. I still believe in the Golden Rule. I will be polite and respectful as required. I do not wish you ill. I still have manners and will smile and wave and be nice to your kids. If you need help, of course, I will help you. But we won't be "hanging out" or "having drinks" or building a relationship. I won't wish you a happy birthday or invite you over to my house or give you a hug or pretend we're still cool. We can be decent to each other even though we disagree.

Bottom line

If you can look at who this man is and how he behaves and who he has ALWAYS been and what this country has become and you can say — with confidence — "Yeah, that's my guy," then there is something wrong with you. You have major moral problems you need to work out. And I don't want you anywhere near me or my family while you do that. It really is that simple.

Photo by Gemma Evans on Unsplash

Popular Posts