Going offline


The departure of President Obama is really getting to me. Done waiting for some kind of political miracle, I am in mourning over the end of his era and the start of what can only be described as a four-year shit show.

So, see you later, news and social media. For the next few days, instead of paying attention to the inauguration coverage and the first days of the Toupee Fiasco 45th president, I will be:
  • Going to see "Hidden Figures." Based on a true story, it is a movie about a team of African-American women who provide NASA with important mathematical data needed to launch the program's first successful space missions.
  • Going to a museum. Museums throughout NYC are opening their doors, free of charge, in honor of Inauguration day.
  • Finishing a book. A close friend wrote "American Philosophy: A Love Story," and I'm about 2/3 of the way through. My nightstand is piled high with books I've been meaning to start (or finish) and today's the day that stack gets a little bit smaller.
  • Taking a nap while curled up in a ball trying to manage my anxiety about The Biscuit's future as it relates to the incoming administration.
  • Writing letters to people I care about. Not email; ink-on-paper correspondence in my less-than-elegant handwriting. There will be a cup of tea nearby and great music on.
  • Visiting with friends. I'm picky about the people I allow into my circle. Those precious few are scattered all over the world but I make an effort to visit them in person when I can. Social media is great for staying in touch but the ability to hug someone and laugh together is irreplaceable.
  • Celebrating a new mother. A smart, beautiful woman I love and respect is preparing to have her first baby. With the world in turmoil, I'm happy to cover her with affection, wisdom, and encouragement.
No, I will not be attending the Women's March on Washington. This writer so perfectly captures my feelings it's like she's been inside my head. For me, it is time to be still for a couple of days, lest anger and despair get the better of me.

Take care of yourselves. BRB

Comments

Popular Posts