Being an MVP

"We ultimately decided to focus on a candidate whose experience and aesthetic we felt better complement those already on the team."
This is from an email I received from a recruiter who has never met me, spoken to me or knows anything about me other than what's on my résumé and website. When I asked her to be more specific I got ... silence.

Sadly, this is the current state of hiring talent acquisition. Judgements are made not based on what you know or how well you do the job, but are instead based on seven seconds of interaction. I know that sounds bitter but it isn't. It's funny, actually. I am a goddamn MVP in the office but companies hiring right now for my "particular set of skills" will never know that. Poor them.

You're thinking, "That's a bit arrogant, isn't it? What makes you so special?" It's all about my four key abilities.



LEADERSHIP ABILITY
Being part of a victorious team is one thing, being the one who led that team to victory is another thing entirely. Employers should value team members who can inspire others and lead them toward achieving the company’s goals.

I am more than just a “team player” and have much more than “leadership skills." Those words have substance and I can provide solid evidence of how I led my team, my company, my brand to greatness.

LIKEABILITY
I may have met one goal after another in my previous role, but if my co-workers didn’t like working with me, my chances of being hired and named MVP at my dream company are slim.

With 40 percent of employees surveyed by Virgin Pulse indicating their co-workers are a top reason they love their company and 66 percent saying their relationship with colleagues positively impacts their focus or productivity, relationships at work can play a big role in individual and overall company success.

I have what it takes: Anyone can put on a like-able front during the job interview, but how can I show potential employers that my winning personality goes beyond the interview? Simple: references.

I have letters of recommendation and LinkedIn recommendations. I can show potential employers that I’d make a great addition to the team by proving how much others enjoyed working with me.

FLEXIBILITY
Whether it’s on the field or in the workplace, a true MVP is someone who is always willing to step up to the plate. And, occasionally, that means doing things that aren’t part of my job description. The willingness to do what’s necessary to propel the company forward that differentiates a good employee from what I bring.

The workplace can be chaotic at times, and what employers need is someone who can go above and beyond to help the company get through the chaos. A utility player, I know how to make ‘flexibility’ my middle name and jump at the chance to lend a hand when help is needed.

COACHABILITY
Becoming an MVP doesn’t mean I’ve reached the height of my career and there’s nowhere left to go and nothing left to learn. In fact, realizing there’s always room to grow and improve is one of the qualities that make me so special.

I have what it takes because my desire to learn and grow is a huge part of who I am. I know where my weaknesses are and actively work to improve on those shortcomings.

None of this is arrogance. It is confidence in what I bring to work.

On my desk, I keep a small print of a quote from Louis C.K.: "... you have to try and fail, because failure gets you closer to what you're good at." I keep trying and failing to find my next career. But being rejected for positions I KNOW I'd be great at just sharpens my focus and keeps me available for the company that truly appreciates me.

Comments

Popular Posts