Overqualified


The job hunt has been going on in earnest since November. Here's what I know:

"Too much experience" is a bad thing. I don't know when this happened but I'm going to blame millennials those damn kids everyone's always talking about. In my opinion, it also means they can't pay me what they know I'm worth or they're worried I'll get bored and leave.

"Seasoned professional" is a euphemism for being judged as too old. The tech industry in particular make no attempt to cover up this obvious bias. Other discriminatory qualifiers include "too urban" and "family oriented," also known as too black and has a child who might require time away from work.

It doesn't matter how successful I've been, what's on my CV, where I've worked, what I've produced or where I went to school. All that matters is what I'm going to do next.

And if I'm going to be judged based on my age, ethnicity, family status or how many years I've been working, I want to be able to prove companies wrong by blowing them away with raw talent. Trust me: you don't want to miss out on what I bring to the table.

More things I've learned here.

Comments

Popular Posts