Short hair!

Every woman gets a bad haircut at least once in her life. Thankfully, The Biscuit’s hair trauma befell her before she could really appreciate the horror.
With near-waist-length hair, Andy and I had been battling P’s serious tangles. Every bath included tears and shouts of “you’re hurting me!” while struggling to detangle her knots. We decided it was time to remove the drama and get her a short cut.
Cozy Cuts is our neighborhood kid-friendly hair salon. It’s where she got her very first haircut last year and she likes the toddler-friendly environment. Here is a picture of the goal:




For the uninitiated, curly hair is a challenge to cut and style and I have my own bad haircut stories. When we lived in Boston, I insisted on traveling to NYC every three months to make sure my curls were taken care of by stylists who specialize in textured hair. As it turns out, my salon doesn’t service kids under five so we went back to Cozy Cuts with fingers crossed.
MISTAKE!




While Parker was happy to be free of the excess weight, the result was a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Haircut. The stylist had NO CLUE how to cut non-straight hair and basically just lopped off six inches without even attempting to layer it into a nice shape. The uneven mess of a result was so unacceptable, I immediately made an appointment at Ouidad: the curly-hair experts.

She was a great client and sat patiently for two washings. After a stellar re-cut by Virginia, some styling tips, a bit of product and 30 minutes under a hair dryer, The Biscuit’s curls look a thousand times better.


While we are thrilled with the result, this was a grown-up hair experience with a VERY grown-up price tag. Virginia assured me this will grow out nicely and shouldn’t need to be recut for a while. Good.

Some things are too good for my child and there’s NO WAY P and I are paying the same price for haircuts.

Comments

Popular Posts